Professional Development for Advanced Silver and High Performance Coaches
The focus of professional development at this stage of coach development is to continue to challenge the coach and build upon the knowledge and skills learned at the Advanced Silver / High Performance level. Professional development at the Advanced Silver and High Performance level is primarily delivered Gymnastics Australia but will also be offered by the State/Territory Association.
There are many Advanced Silver Coaches who have been transitioned into the new GA Education Framework. Any coach in this situation should take the opportunity to update current knowledge by undertaking the Online Advanced Coaching Principles Course.
Some ideas of specific topics for an Advanced Silver / High Performance Coach are:
- The role of the advanced silver / high performance coach; mentoring, building communication skills, developing and strengthening relationships with athletes, parents etc.
- The body in motion; anatomy, injury prevention, mechanics of movement and skill analysis, physical preparation, training and development
- The coach in action; coaching, teaching and learning, planning and implementing effectively
- How to coach advanced Gymsport skills; technical content, skill progressions, competition preparation
- Program management
Some suggested training opportunities are outlined below.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) with the University of Queensland
Gymnastics Australia has partnered with the School of Human Movement & Nutrition Sciences at the University of Queensland to provide Professional Development Online Courses.
These courses are specifically targeted at the Advanced Silver and High Performance coach.
The topics include:
- Athlete development
- Talent Identification
- Quality Coaching
- Issues in sport
State-run Advanced Face to Face Coaching Courses
- Undertaking an additional Gymsport Accreditation
Volunteering at a State (or national) event
Attending State Camps / State Training
Attending an Advanced / Advanced Silver Judging course
- As a participant
- As an observer
Club workshops (sanctioned by State/Territory for updating)
Observation of club training with other Advanced Coaches
State Congress Links